Now available THE PROMISE and A TWIST OF FATE

Monday, December 13, 2010

Monday Excerpt



ROGUE IN BLUE published by Lady Leo Publishing

It was nearly 7:00 p.m. when the last patient of the day left. The flu season was in full swing, and it seemed half the people in the county had come down with it. Working as a nurse in Dr. Resnick’s office, I hoped I didn’t turn into a germ magnet as I helped Cathy, the receptionist, straighten the waiting room.

“Long day, wasn’t it?” she said to me.

“You think they couldn’t get any longer, but with Ed being away, they feel twice as long.”

“When’s he due back?”

“In a few days—if all goes well.”

“I don’t know how you do it. I hate being alone and freak out whenever Paul’s late.”

“You get used to it and thankfully it won’t be forever.”

Actually, I never could truly get used to saying goodbye to my husband, Ed, whenever he left on a business trip. I hated to be alone, especially at night. I missed sleeping with his loving arms wrapped around me. At least he called every night around nine to say good night.

Cathy and I walked out together and I got into my car. As I drove away, I hoped I’d get home in time for Ed's call. I knew he hated to leave me just as much as I hated to be alone. I didn’t want to worry him. I turned onto the highway. Traffic was light, thank goodness, and I'd be able to make it in time. I must have gone less than a mile when I saw flashing red lights in my rear-view mirror.

"Damn!" I said aloud, pounding the wheel. Just what I didn't need. Now I'll never get home in time. My heart began to thud against my chest as I slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road. Maybe he'd just give me a ticket without a lecture and I could be on my way again.

The police car pulled directly in back of mine. The door opened and I watched in my
mirror as the officer slowly emerged from the car. He walked over to my side as I rolled down the window.

"License and registration, please. Do you have any idea how fast you were going?"

"Yes, Officer, and I apologize. I didn't want to miss an important phone call."

"If you have an accident caused by excessive speed, you ain't gonna get that call, either."

"You're right. It was foolish of me. Please issue me the ticket and I promise to take it slow."

"Get out of the car."

"What?"

"Get out of the car."

"Why?"

"Because I'm telling you to, that's why."

"But, I don't understand."

"Are you resisting the order of an officer of the law?"

"No, but—"

"Then get out of that car now!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment