Now available THE PROMISE and A TWIST OF FATE

Friday, November 11, 2011

Giving Honor and Thanks

I guess I'm one of those people who still get teary-eyed when I sing the National Anthem. Despite our slipping in the world's favoritism poll, I'm still proud to be an American. Unfortunately, Veterans Day often means a day off from work or great shopping sales to many people. They have forgotten the true meaning of the holiday, which is to honor those men and women who serve our nation. 

My dad fought in World War II and received a purple heart. Being a nutty kid, I flushed the medal down the toilet. That fortunately is a story for another day in the very distant future. When my father was in the army there was a draft. Today, we have a voluntary army. Those who wish to serve join. That's why we should give those who choose to do so our heartfelt gratitude and honor. They protect us from the terrorists and other enemies seeking to do us harm. I couldn't do it, could you? It does take a brave person to run into harm's way. And we should honor them and give them all the help they need when they return to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment